The mission of the Cook is to prepare food in accordance with current applicable federal, state, and local standards, guidelines and regulations, by accurately following our established policies and procedures. He/She must carefully follow directions given by the Lead Cook, Sous Chef, and/or Executive Chef to ensure that safe and high quality food service is provided at all times.
The ideal Cook has a high school diploma/GED, one year prior experience in a food service setting, and a genuine desire to expand their knowledge base and skills in the food service industry.
The following is a representative list of the duties and responsibilities associated with this position:
· Assists in preparing foods for Epworth Villa.
· Prepares and makes foods for special diets, i.e. Purees, mechanical soft and others as needed.
· Washes, peels, cuts, and seeds vegetables and fruits.
· Cleans, cuts, and grinds meats, poultry, and seafood.
· Dips food items in crumbs, flour, and batter to bread them.
· Stirs and strains soups and sauces.
· Weighs and measures designated ingredients.
· Stores foods appropriately in designated areas and maintains orderliness and cleanliness of all storage areas including coolers, freezers, and dry storage areas. Deliveries and food prepped for service are to be appropriately labeled and dated and used in the first in first out method.
· Fills out and maintain Temperature logs sheets
· Cleans work areas, equipment and utensils, segregates and removes garbage, and steam cleans or hoses garbage containers.
· Distributes supplies, utensils, and portable equipment.
· Works cooperatively with other staff members using team approach.
· Ensures safety and security of kitchen and equipment: equipment is turned off, trash is removed from kitchen, walk-ins locked, all entrances and exits are locked and secure at close of daily service
· Practices safety at all times; applies all accident, fire safety or emergency procedures of the facility in compliance with Epworth Villa Safety Policies and Procedures.
· Performs other duties as assigned or needed.